Thursday 22 July 2010

How to Get Rich Quick with Cloud Computing


You know that a technology has hit the mainstream when it appears in PCWorld. Such is the case for cloud computing, a topic PCWorld considers in its recent piece Amazon Web Services Sees Infrastructure as Commodity. 

Despite the rather banal title, this article makes some interesting points about the nature of commoditization and the effect this will have on the pricing of services in the cloud. It's a good article, but I would argue that it misses an important point about the evolution of cloud services. Of the three common models of cloud–SaaS, PaaS, and IaaS–it's the later, Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), that most captivates me. I can't help but begin planning my next great start-up built using the virtualization infrastructure of EC2, Terramark, or OpSource.

But despite a deep personal interest in the technology underpinning the service, I think what really captures my imagination with IaaS is that it removes a long-standing barrier to application deployment. If my killer app is done, but my production network and servers aren't ready, I simply can't deploy. All of the momentum that I've built up during the powerful acceleration phase of a startup's early days is sucked away—kind of like a sports car driving into a lake. For too many years, deployment has been that icy cold water that saps the energy out of agile when the application is nearing GA.

read more

No comments: